HNS Volleyball Academy
is the place to be if you want a superior Volleyball 101 experience. Is your son or daughter interested in learning all about volleyball? The HNS Academy is the business of introducing boys and girls ages 8 – 14 to volleyball throughout the year.
Our staff and coaches are dedicated to helping girls and boys grow into strong, confident players by pushing them outside their comfort zone, stretching their athletic limits, and challenging them to strive for their goals.
- Coach Big Fred: Professional & coaching for 26 years. HNS is proud to have such a legend to help continue to grow our v-ball program.
- Coach MJ: HNS Certified Youth Trainer: 5 plus years conducting our youth volleyball programs.
- Coach Aja Houston: HNS Academy Certified; Aja has been apart of the v-ball program since the opening of the gym.
- Coach LaTresa Cunningham: Former A5 Club Coach, High School Coach & player for over 14 or more years. She has a strong passion to develop the next generation of athletes. Since the opening of the facility, she has been conducting private lessons to prepare athletes for try-outs and keeping their body conditioned during the off season. LaTresa was a collegiate player at the highest level.
**Come out and meet our great coaches. Please contact us if you know former players who want to volunteer or coach young athletes and create community hours for school.
- Spike: The spike is performed by moving the arm in a way such that you angle the ball to land on the ground of your opponent’s side of the court.
- Forearm passing: A volleyball bump is done by joining your forearms together to pass a ball.
- Setting: (Setter) A set is when a player tries to place the ball near the net to assist a spiker in killing the ball. Requires many reps.
- Penetrating the net: Penetrating the net is when a player reaches over the net during a block or an attack.
- Overhand serving: serve is done by tossing the ball up into the air then striking it with the opposite hand above the shoulder.
- Blocking: A block technique is used to deflect the ball coming from an attacker.
- Pancake: It is when you flatten your hand out on the ground (flat like a pancake) and the ball bounces up off of it. Commonly used for emergencies.
- Volleyball Dig: Volleyball terminology for a dig is defined as passing a spiked or hard hit ball.
- Kill: A kill is when a team spikes the ball and it is successfully put away.
- Paint brush: When the hitter swings and barely “brushes” the bottom of the ball. The ball often drops over the blockers for a kill.
- Tool: Deliberately hitting the ball off the block for a kill.
- Block: The purpose of the block is to prevent the opponents from hitting the ball into your court.
- Ace: A serve is an ace when the other team shanks the serve or the ball hits the floor without anyone touching it
Come see why HNS Volleyball Academy is the place to play with a purpose!
LOCATION: HNS ACADEMY; 1710 REDI ROAD; SUITE 100; CUMMING, GEORGIA 300406